Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Promotions, pledges, posts and pretensions

First of all, let me start off with a "hello" in the direction of the folks at Affect Productions. They have been nudging me to join the world of twitter and I still haven't committed yet. I'm not super regular as far as the internet social networking scene goes. I mean, come on, I just crossed the two year mark for this guy and it has been a sputter and wheeze affair. Plus, I rub elbows with the good folk at the Ruth boards and haven't been able to keep up with them as of late. Toss in the fact that I've come to realize I've got an uncanny "gift" for sounding alarmingly pretentious especially in written form and it all makes me wonder if twitter is for me. I do want to show my support to them because they are working hard to put together a little project that might very well contain something from me. Plus they're good people. Check out their site and keep an ear to the ground for what may be coming from them. Big thanks to Doug Draper for pointing them in my direction.

Also, I want to put this out there. I want to keep making comics. I haven't been doing it enough and I've got a head full of stories. I have been the loathsome "I'm gonna" arse of late. I, like nearly everyone right now, have been partaking in my share of ups and downs. I also run into one of two problems every time I've considered doing them recently: 1.) I get intimidated by the greatness that comes from the folks on the list on the right and 2.) I get nervous about a few of the stories I really want to tell because they are autobiographical. They're spots that are still sore and I worry that my aforementioned "gift" may run rampant in them rendering them unreadable. It still does not change the fact that I want to make comics of those stories and others. I post this paragraph as part public humiliation to goad myself into getting to work and part pledge. I'm going to start posting more comics. They will not be anywhere near as good as any of the comic artists you see posted on the right. If you want good comics, visit their links. Mine will be eye bleeding, wail inducingly bad. They will be sequential eyesores but if I keep hacking them out they may eventually become halfway readable. Only time will tell.

For now, let me end with a couple of images. The first is yet another spaghetti western film sketch. From Corbucci's Companeros. It has loads of the typical taunting a partner on the verge of death so prevalent in those films.



The second is from a challenge on Greg Ruth's boards to draw Uncle Creepy. I know little about him but didn't want to back out of a challenge. Here are the results.


More news about something else I'm mixed up in next month on the way. Possibly some photos as well. Finally I'll give a shout to my Art Murmur cohort, Matt Strackbein, who has been cranking those comics out and keeping the Art Murmur thread kicking with them. You should check them out. Start here with post #166 and you'll find several on up. Good stuff.




No comments: